National Geographic has published an online guide to Durban, that visitors might find very useful:
Things to do in Durban:
Durban is the largest city in the province of KwaZulu-Natal. It is a coastal city with a major tradeport. Durban is 20 minutes from the conference venue. For more information.
What to do:
- uShaka Marine World:
- Durban's Marine Theme Park. Contains an aquarium, dolphinarium, seal pool, dive tank, snorkel reef, water slides, shopping, restaurants, beach and surf. for more details.
- Moses Mabhida Stadium:
- Take a tour of this unique architectural masterpiece, absorb the magnificent view from the top of the arch and have a thrilling bungee jump down to the soccer field. All this can be done at Durban's latest Sports Stadium.
- Valley of 1000 Hills:
- The breathtaking Valley of a Thousand Hills is an exciting component of Durban and South Africa's province of KwaZulu-Natal - the Kingdom of the Zulu. The Valley of 1000 Hills is one of those few holiday destinations that has something for everyone. Unspoilt nature, wildlife, magnificent scenery, wining and dining, and warm country hospitality just a half an hour's drive from the centre of Durban. The area is named after the thousands of hills which tumble down to the mighty Umgeni River, which flows from the distant Drakensberg Mountains to the warm inviting Indian Ocean. For more information
- Pavillion Shopping Centre:
- Just 5 minutes from Durban on the N3, with an average of 1.8 million visitors turnovers in excess of R 2.3 billion; The Pavilion remains the premier shopping and entertainment destination in the Kwazulu Natal province. for more information.
- North Beach Flee Market:
- For a taste of local culture and crafts visit the North Beach amphitheater every Sunday.
Where to eat:
Silvervause Centre, Silverton Road, Berea (031 2023406)
Very exciting food. Try the fried olives! Remarkable wine selection.
If you are not vegetarian
170 Florida Road, Morningside (031 3128248)
Steak is the name of the game!
If you like italian food
Florida Road, Morningside (031 303 9511)
The closest you can get to "Italy" atmosphere in Durban.
If you like indian food
225 Musgrave Road, Berea (031 2010019)
Mali's Indian Restaurant
77 Smiso Nkwanyana Road, Morningside (031 3128535)
If you like Sushi/Japanes/Thai food:
Shop12A, Avonmore Centre, 9th Avenue, Morningside (031 3127054)
Close to the beach:
150 O R Tambo Parade, Durban, 4001, South Africa (031 332 0037)
Things to do in Umhlanga:
Umhlanga is situated on the east coast of South Africa just north of the vibrant Port City of Durban on the warm waters of the Indian Ocean. The golden sandy beaches stretch northwards for more than 200 kilometres, all the way to the spectacular Greater St Lucia Wetland Park, A World Heritage Site. Inland from Umhlanga, endless fields of sugarcane give way to the tumbling area of the 1000 Hills, the massive Inanda Dam and mystical hidden valleys of Zululand.for more details.
What to do
Umhlanga is one of the most popular beach resort destinations on the east coast of South Africa. The bathing is safe and the warm Indian Ocean waters wash the miles of golden beaches and laid-back fun in the sun beckons.
- Wale/Dolphin Watching and Watersport:
- Book a whale watching or dolphin-viewing excursion for a memorable experience on an 8m surf ski-boat which is launched through the waves. Deep-sea fishing and scuba diving adventures are all available.
- Lagoon Nature Reserve:
- The O'Connor Promenade, which hugs the shoreline, ends where the Umhlanga Lagoon Nature Trail begins. This is a delightful hour-and-a-half trail on a well marked path. Wander through stunningcoastal forest on boardwalks that cross the Ohlange River on its way to the lagoon, buttressed by dunes. It is home to vervet monkeys, small buck and a profusion of butterflies and birds. Benches and picnic spots are discreetly provided.
- Gateway Shopping Centre:
- 10 minutes from the Umhlanga beach. This is one of the largest shopping centres in KZN, known as the 'Theatre of Shopping'. At the Centre you will find shops, restaurants, entertainment world, cinemas and the famous Wave House. Visit their