- This event has passed.
South African Quantum Technology Initiative Workshop 2023
May 8 - May 11
South African Quantum Technology Initiative Workshop
8-11 May 2023
Cutty Sark Hotel, Scottburgh, KZN
The Workshop aims to bring all potential contributors to the development of Quantum Technology in South Africa, from Academia and industry, together to create interest, collaboration and business opportunities for quantum technology.
The Three Flagships of SA QuTI:
- Quantum sensors – Devices that can detect very small effects with ultra-high precision, such as tiny accelerations, magnetic-, electric- or gravity fields, image with ultra-high precision, or make very precise measurements of time and frequency. These devices have applications in metrology, non-destructive testing, geo-surveying, navigation, and medical imaging.
- Quantum communication – Devices that allow provably secure communication, i.e., not based on the computational complexity of breaking an encryption code but rather on the laws of quantum mechanics. In such devices, the communicating parties immediately know when their message is being intercepted. Secure communication is a mature technology and has countless applications both in the civil, government and military environments.
- Quantum computing – Devices that allow efficient computation of certain classes of mathematical problems much faster than traditional computers, by exploiting the quantum mechanical phenomena of superposition and entanglement. This is expected to impact machine learning, image recognition, database searching, optimisation problems, and facilitate new developments in chemistry and materials science.
- The programme is available here:
- The timetable is available here.
- Social programme: Jazz concert (Thursday 11th May)
- Outreach: Public talk by Prof Stef Roux (Wednesday 10th May)
Public Talk :
- Time: 8 -9 pm on Wednesday, 10. May 2023.
- Venue: Premier Resort Cutty Sark
- Title: Quantum Information Technology in South Africa
- Speaker: Prof Stef Roux (National Metrology Institute of South Africa)
- Abstract: Recently, the Department of Science and Innovation (DSI) launched the South African Quantum Technology Initiative (SAQuTI). This initiative is briefly presented, mentioning some of the activities in quantum information technology in South Africa that it supports. An overview of what quantum information technology involves and where it came about is also provided.
- Workshop dates: 8-11 May 2023
- Registration deadline: 21 April 2023
Local organizing committee:
- Prof Thomas Konrad (UKZN)
- Dr Yaseera Ismail (UKZN)
- Dr Mervlyn Moodle (UKZN)
- Dr Marco Mariola (UKZN)
- Prof Ilya Sinayskiy (UKZN)